Oktoberfest Schweinshaxe - Smoked Pork Shanks
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 10 Min
- 1 Pork Shanks
- 2 2 Tbsp White Peppercorns
- 3 2 Tsps Caraway Seeds
- 4 2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 5 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 7 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
Celebrate Oktoberfest and the changing of the weather with this hearty and delicious Smoked Pork Shank Recipe that is sure to be a showstopper.
- In a skillet, lightly toast the white peppercorns and carways just until they become fragrant (toast separately)
- Put toasted peppercorns and caraway seeds into a spice grind and coarsely grind
- In a separate bowl, mix peppercorns and caraway seeds and remaining dry ingredients
- Rinse and pat the pork shanks dry with a paper towel
- Score the skin about every 2 inches all the way around they shank. Make sure to cross hatch the skin.
- Lightly oil the shanks and season w/ the seasoning mix be careful to get some spices underneath the skin at the score marks
- Heat smoker to an ambient temperature of 250 degrees.
- If using wood as fuel, I recommend hickory as it works well with the flavor profile of the shanks
- Insert an internal meat probe into the thickest part of the shank
- Smoke until internal temperature is approximately 190 to 200 degrees
- Remove shanks and lightly tent with foil
- Heat grill to searing temperature - anywhere from 500 to 600 degrees
- Sear pork shank skin rotating every 3 to 5 minutes until skin is crispy
- Remove from grill and server immediately.
- Skin should be crispy and meat should be fork tender.