BBQ Fiends Chicken Lollipop Recipe
Prep Time: 25 Min | Cook Time: 45 to 60 Min
- 1 Chicken Drumsticks - 2 lbs
- 2 Char-Griller Chicken Rub 1/4 Cup
- 3 BBQ Sauce of Choice - 3/4 Cup
- 4 Apple Juice - 1/4 Cup
- 5 Honey - 1 tsp
- 6 Tiger Sauce - 1 tsp
- 7 Coarse Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Chicken lollipops are a fun and easy way to make your chicken interesting! That big ball of chicken attached to that “meat handle” make for some great aesthetics. These have been a huge hit at many cook-outs and we are always getting the question, “How did you do this?!” With this recipe you are guaranteed to impress your friends with some juicy, tender, and full of flavor chicken!
1. With your boning knife cut where the chicken starts to thin out going towards the joint. Cut all around the bone and use a paper towel to help with the removal of the skin and joint. Push the meat down towards the thick end of the drumstick to form the lollipop presentation.
Tip: You will notice tendons and a little bone that runs parallel to the leg after you have cut it. Make sure to remove these with your boning knife or kitchen shears.
2. Once all your drumsticks have been trimmed and free of tendons it is time to wrap the exposed bones in foil (this will help with presentation so you don’t end up with burnt bones).
Tip: During this step I usually start my fire prep by lighting my charcoal chimney.
3. Next, use your seasoning and apply liberally to your lollipops. Make sure to get as even as a coat as possible.
4. For chicken lollipops, grill with indirect heat because you are looking to keep them moist and without char marks. Pour your charcoal chimney into one half of the grill and adjust air ducts.
5. Get your grill up to 325 F.
6. Add oak chunks as well just to give the meat an extra layer of flavor.
7. Once grill is up to temp arrange your chicken lollipops so they are standing up on the half of the grate that is not above the flame.
Tip: While your grill is coming up to temp you can refrigerate your chicken to help the seasoning process and to firm up the chicken a bit more. I find this helps with them standing up in lollipop form.
8. Let the grill do its work.
9. Start preparing the glaze by combining BBQ sauce, apple juice, honey, tiger sauce, and black pepper in a microwavable safe cup. Set aside till it is time to glaze.
Tip: I always warm my sauce right before it is time to glaze so that it is smooth and doesn’t tack on to the meat too heavily. Microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes right before you glaze.
10. Once your chicken has reached internal temp around 165 F, it is time to glaze.
11. Dip each chicken lollipop into the cup with your glaze mixture until you have obtained a nice shine.
12. Quickly put the chicken back on the grill and let the internal temp reach 170 F.
13. At this point you will pull the chicken off the grill and dip in the glaze again if needed.
14. Put on a platter and cover loosely with foil. Let rest.
15. Once the chicken has rested for about 10 minutes it is time to impress your family and friends.
Take that foil off and let the crowd be in awe of your creation! I promise they will be even more impressed once they get a taste!