Steamed Mussels with Pancetta
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 30 Min
- 1 2 lbs. fresh mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 2 4 oz. pancetta, diced
- 3 3/4 C. dry white wine
- 4 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 1/2 onion, diced
- 6 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 7 1 1/4 C. fish stock
- 8 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 9 2 Tbsp. chives, minced
- 10 8-10 grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 11 Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 Salt and pepper to taste
- 13 French bread, sliced and toasted for serving
1. Fry pancetta in a cast iron pan on the grill at 375°F to desired crispness, drain grease and set aside in a small bowl. Do not wipe pan.
2. Add olive oil to pan and sauté onion and garlic until just softened for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add pancetta from Step 1 and mussels to pan and allow to steam with lid closed, until mussels have opened, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Open grill lid and stir in dry white wine, fish stock, lemon juice, chives, sliced tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until almost all of the liquid is evaporated.
5. Remove pan from the heat and discard any shells that do not open. Serve with toasted French bread. Enjoy!