Smoked Bacon-Brisket BBQ Beans
Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 4 Hrs
- 1 Brown Sugar Baked Beans- 85 Ounces
- 2 White Beans- 15 Ounces
- 3 Pinto Beans- 15 Ounces
- 4 Kidney Beans- 15 Ounces
- 5 Canned Diced Tomatoes- 28 Ounces
- 6 Cooked Brisket- 2 Hefty Handfuls
- 7 Large Sweet Onion- 1
- 8 Minced Garlic- 1 Clove
- 9 Vegetable Oil- 1 Tablespoon
- 10 Beer- 1/2 Cup
- 11 Garlic Powder- 1 Tablespoon
- 12 Brown or Stone Ground Mustard- 2 Tablespoons
- 13 White Vinegar- 1/4 Cup
Make the most out of your leftover brisket! These beans are easy to make and pack serious flavor! A smokey heat with kiss of sweet. It's a meal in itself!
1. Start by preparing your AKORN or favorite Char-Griller smoker for indirect heat at 275°f. I prefer using applewood for this recipe but use your favorite wood. I've done these beans with mesquite, cherry, and also hickory and they have always turned out great.
2. Set burner to med-high heat and pour vegetable oil into skillet. Saute chopped onion and minced garlic to slightly soften and brown. Set aside.
3. Slice uncooked bacon into 2" bite sized squares (Pull out entire pound of bacon slices and cut all at once) Set aside.
4. Pour assorted beans into large mixing bowl. Add your diced tomatoes. Combine remaining ingredients (minus the bacon) into the bowl and stir until all ingredients are evenly mixed with beans.
5. Pour contents into large baking pan. Lay bacon over top of beans piece by piece, rooftop style. Once the beans are covered, if you end up with extra bacon pieces, build a second layer around the outside and work your way inward toward the middle.
6. I like to sprinkle a little extra Char-Griller Rib Rub or Pepper on the rooftop bacon but this is optional.
7. Once smoker is running steady around 275°f place beans inside and let the magic happen!
8. Check every hour. Cook Time for these beans averages about 3 ½ hours- 4 hours. You are looking for the top to have a dark rich mahogany color, a caramelized look, and rooftop bacon should be fairly firm.
9. Let beans rest 10-15 min to slightly cool before eating!