Reverse Seared Tri-Tip w/ Pico De Gallo
Prep Time: 25 Min | Cook Time: 2 Hrs
- 1 Tri-Tip- 2 to 3 Pounds
- 2 Kosher Salt- 1 Tablespoon
- 3 Coarse Black Pepper- 1 Tablespoon
- 4 Onion Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- 5 Garlic Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- 6 Hot Sauce- 2 Teaspoons
- 7 Oak Splits
- 8 Large Tomatoes (Chopped)- 2
- 9 White Onion (Finely Chopped)- 1/2 Cup
- 10 Cilantro (Finely Chopped)- 1/4 Cup
- 11 Jalapeno (Seeds Removed to Preference, Finely Chopped)- 1/2 to 1 ounce
- 12 Lime Juice- 2 Tablespoons
Want to impress dad this Father's Day? This Tri Tip from BBQ Fiends is Reverse Seared to perfection making it juicy and tender. The added Pico De Gallo adds good spice and flavor to take the steaks over the top.
1. Remove all excess fat and silver skin from the tri-tip. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a shaker until they are well blended. Use the hot sauce as a slather on both sides of the tri-tip to help get the rub to stick. Carefully season both sides and ensure that the tri-tip has a nice even coat of seasoning.
2. Start prepping your fire and working on getting your smoker up to 275 F. Once your smoker has reached 275 F it is time to put the tri-tip on and let the smoker do its job.
3. Once the tri-tip has reached an internal temperature of 125 F it is time to take it out of the smoker and prep for the sear. Place the tri-tip in a pan and cover with foil while you begin to get the grill up to 450-500 F.
Tip: you can get a good sear on either the grill or a cast iron skillet.
4. Once the grill has reached 450-500 F place the tri-tip directly on the grill and sear both sides till internal temp reaches 135 F. Pull the tri-tip off the grill and let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Tip: internal temp for beef varies by preference so feel free to pull it sooner for rare or later for well done.
5. Slice the tri-tip against the grain and top with Pico De Gallo. Enjoy!
Pico De Gallo Directions:
1. In a bowl combine the onion, jalapeno and lime juice. Salt to taste and let marinate for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and cilantro into the bowl with the other ingredients. Stir well.
3. Let the mixture marinate so the flavors can meld. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: If you let the Pico De Gallo marinate for 1-3 hours the better the flavors will be when it is time to eat.