Mrs. CCBBQ Mac N' Cheese
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 1.5 Hrs
- 1 16 oz Elbow Macaroni
- 2 16 oz Cheddar Jack
- 3 16 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 4 1/2 tsp Salt
- 5 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 1/4 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 7 1/2 tsp Cajun/Creole Seasoning
- 8 1 tsp Paprika
- 9 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 10 2.5 Cups Milk
- 11 8 Fl. Oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 12 1 Egg
- 13 1/2 Stick Butter
- 14 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 15 8 Double Slices of Bacon
Char-Griller Ambassador James Llorens of @certified.creole.bbq doesn't do all the grilling at home. His wife isn't shy about firing up the smoker and experimenting with new recipes like this delicious Mac n' Cheese recipe that is perfect for feeding a crowd.
1. Heat smoker/grill to 350°
Tip: For a lingering and not overwhelming smoke, add the pecan chunk on top the grill grate over the fire/charcoal.
2. Add the 8 double bacon slices to a baking sheet. Lightly season one side of the bacon with Cajun/Creole seasoning. Only one side so its not to salty.
Tip: Using a baking sheet allows for easy handling and less grill grate mess.
3. Place bacon in the smoker/grill: offset it opposite side of the fire/charcoal & wood chunk. Rotate once to allow for even cooking.
4. Remove when golden brown or after 25 minutes.
5. Chop up into small bits and set aside.
6. Boil water, add pasta & cook until al dente. Set aside.
7. To make the Roux: turn heat on side burner to medium and melt the butter.
8. Add small amounts of flour while whisking. Continue to whisk for 3-5 minutes until a darker color.
9. In this order, add milk, add heavy whipping cream, add milk, add ground mustard and continue to stir for 5 minutes or until thick.
10. Turn heat to medium-low.
11. Remove ¼ cup of roux. Using a separate bowl add the roux to the battered egg and whisk vigorously for 30 seconds then add and whisk it back into to the roux.
12. Add cheeses to the roux and melt down until it turns into a liquid. Leave a small amount on the side to top prior to baking.
13. Add Salt: ½ tsp, Black Pepper: ½ tsp, Ground Cayenne Pepper: ¼ tsp, Cajun/Creole Seasoning: ½ tbs, Paprika: 1 tsp to the liquid cheese and stir into the cheese.
14. Add pasta to the cheese and mix thoroughly.
15. Butter coat a high temperature dish and add the mac n’ cheese. Top with cheese and pecan smoked bacon. Cover with a lid.
16. Heat gas grill to 350° and bake for 40 minutes.
17. Remove and enjoy.