Flavor Pro™ Smoked French Onion Dip
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 2 (Plus overnight in the fridge) Hrs
- 1 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 2 2 Yellow Onions, Sliced into 1/4 inch Rings
- 3 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 4 2 Cups Sour Cream
- 5 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 6 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 7 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 9 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 10 Chives, Chopped for Garnish
- 11 Kettle Chips for Serving
Call a timeout on that store bought dip and draw up the game winning play with this smoked french onion dip made on the Char-Griller Flavor Pro™ from ambassador Bryan Head of @thebbqhead!
1. Prepare Flavor Pro™ for 225°F. Add coals and smoking wood to the far left slot in the Flavor Drawer. Close the left smoke stack and leave the right stack fully open. Light coals using the two gas burners on the left.
2. Add onions to foil pan and place foil pan on the right side of the grill (opposite the heat source)
3. Smoke onions for 90 minutes adding coals and wood as needed to control temperature and smoke flow.
4. Heat the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat using two of the Flavor Pro™ gas burners.
5. Add the smoked onion rings to the skillet and saute for 20-25 minutes or until dark brown and caramelized. Add garlic and thyme leaves and saute for another 2 minutes then remove from heat.
6. Let cool then finely chop onion mixture to your desired consistency for the dip.
7. In a bowl, mix sour cream, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Fold in the onion mixture.
8. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to intensify.
9. Garnish with chives and serve with kettle chips. Enjoy!