Coffee & Cocoa Tri-Tip
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 2 Hrs
- 1 2-3 Lb Tri-Tip
- 2 4 Tbsp Coffee Rub
- 3 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 Salt to Taste
- 5 1 tsp Olive Oil
This Coffee & Cocoa Tri-Tip Recipe from Char-Griller Ambassador Sebastian Kaine of @bbqfiends is the perfect recipe for the cold winter days. The savory flavors of the rub pair well with the beef and make for an excellent meal.
1. Remove all excess fat and silver skin from the tri-tip.
2. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a shaker until they are well blended.
3. Use the olive oil as a slather on both sides of the tri-tip to help get the rub to stick. Carefully season both sides and ensure that the tri-tip has a nice even coat of seasoning.
4. Start prepping your fire and working on getting your smoker up to 275 F. Once your smoker has reached 275 F it is time to put the tri-tip on.
5. Once the tri-tip has reached an internal temperature of 125 F it is time to take it out of the smoker and prep for the sear.
6. Place the tri-tip in a pan and cover with foil while you begin to get the grill up to 450-500 F.
Tip: You can get a good sear on either the grill or a cast iron skillet.
7. Once the grill has reached 450-500 F place the tri-tip directly on the grill and sear both sides till internal temp reaches 135 F.
8. Pull the tri-tip off the grill and let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Tip: Internal temp for beef varies by preference so feel free to pull it sooner for rare or later for well done.
9. Slice the tri-tip against the grain. Enjoy!