Chi-Town Loaded Steak Tortas
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 20-25 Min
- 1 Steak Taco Meat (diced chuck roast or any kind of steak): 2 pounds
- 2 Sazón, Chef Merito Meat Seasoning & Char Griller Grills Taco Fajita seasonings: use seasonings to taste
- 3 1 Bunch Cebollitas/Green Onions: Sliced
- 4 1-2 Jalapenos: Sliced
- 5 3-4 Bolillo breads
- 6 1 Lime: sliced for squeezing for the meat prep
- 7 2 Limes: cut into quarters for fresh squeezing for eating
- 8 Sour Cream: to taste
- 9 Refried Beans: to taste
- 10 Lettuce: ½ head chopped, to taste
- 12 Tomato: 1 chopped, to taste
- 13 Salsa: to taste
- 14 Chihuahua Cheese: to taste
- 15 Char-Griller Grills Flat Iron Griddle & Griddle Tool Set
- 16 Olive Oil and Water squeeze bottles for Flat Iron Griddle Cooking
Char-Griller ambassador, James Llorens of Certified Creole BBQ shares his experiences with and recipe for Chi-Town Loaded Steak Tortas.
Growing up in Chicago, I had a lot of great Mexican around me but had a great one right on the corner where I grew up: El Pacifico on Fullerton & Drake. This spot is where my love for Mexican Food started to grow deep, and I’ll always have an appreciation & much love for them. Prior to going to this spot, I’d only eat tacos and owe to my Uncle Greg for putting me on to steak tortas. I’ll never forget asking him what it was when he ordered one and wanting one when I saw him eating it. I had one shortly after that, and since then, it remains one of my favorite things to order at any Mexican restaurant I go to. I also love to make them now homemade on my Flat Iron Griddle like I did this one. Truly some awesome eating and one of my all-time favorites!
- Season the diced steak with Sazón, Chef Merito Meat Seasoning & Char-Griller Grills Taco Fajita seasonings to taste.
- Squeeze lime juice from one lime.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly, and it’s ready to go.
- Fire up your Flat Iron Griddle to medium heat using three burners.
- Add the cebollitas/green onions, jalapenos, and steak to the griddle and allow to cook.
- Move the meat and veggies around every few minutes. Meat and veggies will be done when they are brown and charred. Takes about 20-25 minutes. Tip: remove any meat juices in the grease drawer to allow the meat to sear.
- Add bolillo bread to the hot griddle top to toast.
- Torata building: to the bolillo add beans, sour cream steak, avocado, cheese lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and additional sour cream. Eat the cebollitas/green onions and jalapenos on the side.