Cheeseburger Chili with Burger Bun Croutons
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 1.5 Hrs
- 1 Finely Diced Char Grilled Burgers - 4
- 2 Diced White Onion - 1/2 an Onion
- 3 Diced Tomato - 1/2 a Tomato
- 4 Chili Powder - 1/3 Cup
- 5 Ground Cumin - 2 Tablespoons
- 6 Garlic Powder - 2 Tablespoons
- 7 Tomato Puree - 16 Ounces
- 8 Chili Beans - 16 Ounces
- 9 Water - 1 Cup
- 10 Salt - 1 Tablespoon
- 13 Shredded Cheddar - 1/2 Cup
- 14 Melted Butter - 2 Tablespoons
It's a few days after your weekend cookout, and you're left with 3 or 4 leftover cheeseburgers, the toppings, and half a pack of hamburger buns that seemed to have gotten squished by the chips.
What to do? The least favorable option in Personal Chef and Char-Griller Ambassador Aubrey Johansen's mind is to reheat a burger in the microwave- too many opportunities to end up with a dry hockey puck.
Let's repurpose these goods. Leftover cheeseburgers from the grill make an incredibly flavorful meat base for chili. Let's dice up those buns and toss them with some cheese for a delicious crouton topping. You can make both of these recipes directly on the grill in a cast-iron skillet or on the stove, baked in the oven. Up to you! Let's dig in!
1. In a large cast iron skillet, combine oil, onion, and dry spices, and toast for 3-4 minutes over a grill flame, or medium heat on the stove top.
2. After the onions and spices become toasted, add the remainder of the ingredients, and simmer on low for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the chili simmers, combine the diced buns with melted butter and garlic salt. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and toasted.
4. Serve your chili with additional shredded cheese, diced onion, croutons, and cilantro. Enjoy!