Blueberry Jalbanero Smoked Wings
Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 2.5 to 3 Hrs
- 1 Blueberries - 1 Cup
- 2 1/2 Jalapeno - seeds removed/chopped
- 3 1/2 Habanero - seeds removed/chopped
- 4 2 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 5 Ketchup - 1/4 Cup
- 6 Molasses - 1/8 Cup
- 7 White Vinegar - 1 and 1/3 Tbsp
- 8 Ground Mustard - 1/2 Tbsp
- 9 Spicy BBQ Sauce - 2 Tbsp
- 10 Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 11 Chicken Wings (Frozen or Fresh) - 3 Lbs
- 12 Char-Griller Chicken Rub
If the title looks and sounds like a mouthful, it's because these wings are seriously packed with flavors. Jalapeño peppers, Habanero peppers and the secret ingredient, blueberries come together with smoke and fire to make some incredible chicken wings.
1. Add all ingredients, expect the wings and Char-Griller Chicken Rub, to sauce pan on medium high heat until it simmers stirring often.
2. Drop to medium-low heat and cook for 30 minutes. Should continue to slightly simmer. Berries will burst.
3. After the 30 minutes, take off heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Add contents to food processor and pulse until you get a smooth consistency similar to a thicker buffalo wing sauce. Continue to let cool then refrigerate until it's ready to add to wings.
Smoked Wing Instructions:
1. Set up Char-Griller for indirect heat at 325°f and use cherry wood or your favorite smoking wood
2. Thaw wings and pat dry. Coat wings with Char-Griller chicken rub and let sit for 10-15 min in refrigerator while your grill comes to temp.
Tip: You can use Fresh Chicken Wings here if you prefer
3. Once the grill is reaches 300-325°f, place wings on baking pan with cooling rack or directly on the grates.
4. Rotate and flip wings once every 30-45 minutes to ensure an even cook. Wings are done when you have a nice rich mahogany color. Looking for internal temp of 170-180°f. Usually 2 ½ - 3 hours in the smoker should do the trick.
5. Brush on Blueberry Jalbanero wing sauce and enjoy!