Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 45 Min
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple slices in juice, drained, with juice reserved
- 2 6 oz. jar maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 3 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 ¼ C. unsalted butter
- 5 1 C. brown sugar
- 6 Vegetable oil, according to box directions
- 7 Eggs, according to box directions
1. Pre-heat grill to 350°F. Melt butter in a cast iron pan and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
2. Place pineapple slices in pan on top of brown sugar and place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Add remaining cherries around slices.
3. Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 C. Make cake batter according to package directions, substituting pineapple juice mixture for water. Slowly pour batter over pineapple and cherries in an even layer.
4. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Run a knife around the side of the pan to loosen cake. Place a serving plate upside down onto the pan and turn plate and pan over.
5. Allow topping to drizzle over cake, then remove pan and allow cake to cool before slicing. Store covered in refrigerator.