Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble Pie
Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 35-40 Min
- 1 1¼ C. and ¾ C. all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp. for filling
- 2 1 C. unsalted butter, diced and divided
- 3 1 C. sugar
- 4 ½ C. light brown sugar
- 5 1 large egg
- 6 2 C. fresh rhubarb, cut into ½” dice
- 7 2 C. fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 8 ¼ Tsp. orange zest, finely grated, optional
- 9 2 Tbsp. cold water, or more as needed
- 10 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 Cold water, as needed
1. Add 1¼ C. flour and salt to a large bowl and cut in ½ C. of butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Gradually add cold water to crumb mixture, until dough holds together when pressed.
3. Shape into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. Turn dough onto a floured surface and roll into a circle large enough to cover a buttered pie dish. Place dough into pie dish, trim the edges and prick the bottom with a fork.
In a medium bowl, combine ¾ C. flour, light brown sugar, and remaining ½ C. of butter Mix using a pastry blender or electric mixer until it resembles coarse crumbs.
1. Pre-heat grill to 400°F. In a large bowl, whisk 2 Tbsp. flour, egg, 1 C. sugar and vanilla together, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add strawberries and rhubarb and mix until just blended. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. After 30 minutes, pour filling into pie crust. Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over pie and cover loosely with foil.
4. Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crumble topping is golden brown. Remove foil during the last 10 minutes.
Cool on wire rack before slicing and serving.