Mr John’s Jalapeno Chips
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 30 Min
- 1 12 or more Jalapeno peppers
- 2 Salt
- 3 Favorite Cheese Shredded I like Extra Sharp.
Jalapeno chips are the perfect snack while you are waiting for the main course. Grilling or griddling the jalapeno slices gives them a great flavor and adding cheese and salt as a finishing touch makes them surprisingly addictive. This is a recipe you'll make again and again.
Be careful when cleaning jalapeno peppers as it is really easy to get capsaicin in your eyes.
The hot hand cool hand method is a great way to avoid this but you may want to wear rubber latex gloves.
The capsaicin oil is in the white part near the stem. Rupturing it (cutting it) releases the oil which spreads to the seeds and internal walls of your pepper. For this reason, clean one pepper at a time.
1. Designate which hand will be the ‘hot’ hand and which one the ‘cool’ hand. Using your dominant hand for the ‘hot hand’ is our prefered method.
2. Take a pepper and cut it lengthwise. Hold half of it in your cool hand and use a spoon (hot hand) to scrape the white part and any ribs out of the pepper. Add to a bowl or sink. Clean other half of the pepper.
3. Repeat this process till you are done processing all your peppers.
4. Then rinse all of the peppers in a colander and shake dry.
5. Have your grill, griddle, or stove set to 350 deg F.
6. Place the peppers in your vegetable pan/ baking sheet with no overlapping or on the griddle cut side up.
7. Sprinkle with salt.
8. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
9. Cook for about 30 minutes. Pull and set aside to cool.
10. When cool enough to eat you will have “Jalapeno chips” that are not hot or not very hot more of a mild heat.