Char-Griller Ambassador, Joe Silva of @QBelliesBBQ shares his recipe for the perfect side dish that screams main entrée with smoked ribs and bacon added! Here’s how:
• Remove membrane from the back (optional)
• Use binder (I use canola oil)
• Starting on the back side, sprinkle garlic and herb rub, then ribs rub.
• Flip the ribs over and repeat the process.
• Let ribs sit for 10-15 mins before placing in smoker
• Smoke for 3 hours or until bark/color are mahogany in color and rub is sticky.
• Remove from smoker and wrap in butchers paper. Spritz some water then add a layer of ribs rub on the butchers paper; place ribs face down. Spritz back of ribs and add another layer of ribs rub. Wrap
• Place back onto the smoker for another hour or until ribs hit 203 and are tender
• Rest for 30 minutes, remove meat from the bone and chop. Set aside.
• Boil water
• Add 2 tsp salt to boiling water
• Add pasta and cook to Al dente (7-10 mins)
• Save 4 oz of pasta water, then drain
• Add pasta back into pot with 2 tsp sliced butter. Mix so it doesn’t stick. Set aside.
• Add 1 stick of butter to pot over medium heat
• Add shallots and garlic; sauté until translucent
• Add flour and continuously mix for 1-2 mins
• Add heavy cream; mix for 1 min
• Add cream cheese, rib rub, hot sauce, pasta water, 2 cups of sharp cheddar, 1 cup mild cheddar, 1 cup Monterey Jack; mix all ingredients until creamy texture
Place pasta in cheese sauce and mix.
Cook bacon separately and place on a plate (separately to get crispy).
Mac and Cheese Directions
• Add mac n cheese in a half aluminum tray
• Add chopped ribs; mix
• After mixing, add pork panko on top layer
• Add the rest of the cheese (1 cup mild cheddar, 1 cup Monterey Jack)
• Add chopped bacon
• Add sliced jalapeños
- Place half tray back into smoker at 375 until cheese is melted. Rest for 5-10 mins and enjoy!