Reverse Seared Picaña Steaks on the AKORN with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 Picaña 2.5-3.5 pounds
- 2 Coarse salt for dry brine
- 3 1 cup flat leaf parsley (packed)
- 4 5-6 cloves of Garlic
- 5 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano (can substitute 3 Tablespoons dry)
- 6 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 7 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 9 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
These Picaña steaks drizzled with chimichurri sauce will have your mouth saying, "More Please!" Bursting with flavor, we guarantee you'll want to grill these up for dinner.
Picaña Preparation & Cooking Instructions:
1. 12-24 hours before cooking, remove the picaña from the packaging and pat dry with a few paper towels.
2. Position the picaña so that the grain of the meat is running vertically and the fat side is on the bottom. Cutting with the grain, slice your steaks 2” thick.
3. Once your steaks are cut, use the coarse salt to season all sides of each steak. Be sure to get a good coating, all of this salt will absorb into the meat overnight. This is the beginning of the dry brine! Let the steaks sit on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge for 12 to no more than 24 hours before cooking.
4. Prepare your grill for indirect heat and dial the temperature to 225 degrees.
5. Place the picaña steaks on the grill and cook until they reach 110-115 degrees internal temperature. Once they reach this temperature, remove them from the grill, place on a plate, and loosely tent with foil.
6. While the steaks are resting, crank up the grill to 500 degrees and get ready to sear. Make sure it is HOT, you want to get a nice crust on the steak and fat cap!
7. Sear each steak for 60 to 90 seconds on each side. This step is about building a crust and finishing the steak so make sure you keep an eye on them and don’t overcook them.
8. Once steaks are finished searing, place on cutting board to rest 10-15 minutes before slicing and topping with chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!
1. Wash and dry both parsley and oregano (if using fresh).
2. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend on the low setting until everything is homogenous.
3. Taste to check seasoning and adjust to your liking.
4. Once completely blended and seasoned, empty chimichurri sauce into a serving dish and it is ready to go on top of the steaks.