How to Smoke on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™ Charcoal Grill
In a few easy steps you can smoke and bring delicious meals to your table. With indirect heat at 200-250 degrees you can smoke salmon, tomahawk steak, wings and so much more!
How to Light the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
- Open the lid, remove the cooking grates and heat deflector.
- Stack Charcoal into a pyramid in the center of the fire grate. Place fire starter.
- Place 1-2 fire starters near the bottom of the pile and cover with 1-3lbs of lump charcoal.
- Open the fan cover.
- Without changing the placement from Step 2, ignite the fire starter. Leave the lid open and allow 3-5 minutes for the fire starter to begin igniting the coals.
- Add wood chips, chunks, or pellets as desired to add smoke flavor.
- If desired, place the heat deflector. Reinsert grates, close the lid and ensure the power cord is securely plugged into a GFCI Outlet.
- Press the Power button for one second to turn on the controller.
- Press the Grill Temperature button, turn dial to desired temperature, and press dial to select. Grill between 200-250 degrees.
- The controller will display a suggested damper setting for 5 seconds, adjust as needed. Once temperature is set the fan will begin working to automatically controlling your grill temperature.
- Place food on the main cooking grates or the warming rack above. Food on the cooking grates will cook faster
Set the Temperature on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
Manually Press Grill Temperature Button
1. Adjust desired temperature target by rotating Control Knob (max 700°F)
2. Press Control Knob to select desired grill temperature target
3. Suggested Damper setting will blink for 5 seconds, set damper notch to the corresponding number
Set the Meat Probe Temperature on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
1. Insert Meat Probe Connector into Probe Jack (Controller can accommodate up to 2 meat probes)
2. Press Meat Probe Temperature Button
3. Adjust desired internal meat temperature by rotating Control Knob (max 225°F)
4. Press Control Knob to select desired temperature
5. Press Meat Probe Button to switch between Probes 1 & 26. Alarm will sound when internal temperature is reached (press any button to stop alarm)
NOTE: Meat Probe should not be used to measure Ambient Air temperature in the grill and and will be permanently damaged if it exceeds 250°F.
Set timer on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
1. Press Timer Button
2. Adjust desired timer duration by rotating Control Knob
NOTE: Timer will change in 5-minute increments, shorter increments are available by using the Char-Griller® App
3. Press Control Knob to select desired time
4. Alarm will sound when timer completes (press any button to stop alarm)
Wood chips or chunks may be used in addition to charcoal to add smoke flavor as desired.
After the grill has reached the desired temperature, sprinkle two handfuls of soaked wood chips ( pre-soaked for 35 minutes) or chunks over the lit charcoals.
Opening the smoking chamber will extend cooking time.