How-To Start the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
Using your AKORN® Auto-Kamado™ for the first time may seem intimidating at first, but this blog has all the information you need to successfully start your grill. You'll be an AKORN® Auto-Kamado™ expert in no time.
This grill is designed for outdoor use away from any flammable materials. Make sure there are no overhead obstructions and that the ventilation openings of the grill are not obstructed. The grill must be used on a level, stable surface. Don’t expose the grill in rain or any type of water because of its electrical components. It will get damaged. Use only approved GFCI outlet.
Always season your grates before use. Carefully follow the lighting instructions, specifically the location of the fire starters. This allows our proprietary algorithm to strategically fan the flame and reach your desired temperature.
- Open the lid, remove the cooking grates and heat deflector.
- Stack Charcoal into a pyramid in the center of the fire grate. For bottom ignition, Place 1-2 fire starters near the bottom of the pile and cover with charcoal. For top ignition, Place 1 fire starter at the top of the pile between 2 pieces of charcoal. Note: Fire starter can have significant impact on reaching set temperature and how much charcoal is activated. Using more fire starters will increase the speed in reaching desired temperature, but also results in more charcoal being activated which can make it difficult to control temperatures.
- Open the fan cover.
- Without changing the placement from Step 2, ignite the fire starter. Leave the lid open and allow 3-5 minutes for the fire starter to begin igniting the coals.
- If desired, place the heat deflector. Reinsert grates, close the lid and ensure the power cord is securely plugged into a GFCI Outlet.
- Press the Power button for one second to turn on the controller.
- Press the Grill Temperature button, turn dial to desired temperature, and press dial to select.
- The controller will display a suggested damper setting for 5 seconds, adjust as needed. Once temperature is set the fan will begin working to automatically controlling your grill temperature.
- It will take approximately 20-30 minutes for the grill to reach your desired temperature. Once temperature is reached, you are ready to cook.