Perfect Smoked Crispy Chicken Wings on the AKORN
Prep Time: 6 Min | Cook Time: 45 Min
- 1 1 Pack Of 6 Whole Chicken Wings
- 2 1 Tbsp Of Kosher Salt
- 3 1/4 Cup Of Your Favorite Wing Sauce Or Glaze
My favorite recipe for football is smoked chicken wings with crispy skin. This is something that is often attempted but never perfected. I’m here to tell you today that perfection isn’t out of reach when you’re using the right tool, and for me, the Char-Griller AKORN is the perfect tool for making smoked chicken wings with delicious crispy skin. These are quick to make and delicious, so give these a try at your next backyard tailgate and let me know what you think.
- Light a full chimney of charcoal.
- Fill the Akorn with unlit coal with enough room to put the smoking stone in place.
- Dump the fully lit chimney on the unlit coals and add one piece of hickory wood at the edge of the lit coals. Place the smoking stone and oiled grate in place. Open the top and bottom vent on the Akorn to the number 3.
- Season the bottom side of the chicken wings evenly with the kosher salt, then place them on the Akorn around where the edge of the smoking stone is below them.
- After ten minutes, flip the wings over and inward to protect them from the direct heat. Also, give the grate ¼ turn. Open the top vent up to the number 4.
- After ten minutes, flip the wings back over and give the grate another ¼ turn.
- After ten minutes, flip the wings back over and give a final ¼ turn.
- After ten minutes, check the wings' internal temperatures; they should be around 200 degrees.
- Place the wings in a bowl and pour the sauce or glaze over the top and toss until they are evenly covered.