Certified Holiday Mesquite Smoked Ham
Prep Time: 45 Min | Cook Time: 4 Hrs
- 1 Whole Bone In Ham
- 2 Pineapple Juice (14 oz) for basting and spritzing
- 3 Cajun/Creole Seasoning for Baste
- 4 Black Pepper
- 5 Light Brown Sugar
- 6 Whole Cloves
- 7 Red Maraschino Cherries & Juice
- 8 Pineapple Slices 20 oz.
- 9 Dijon Mustard
Ham is the quintessential Holiday dish. Served all over the country, almost all of the hams are going to look the same. Switch it up this Holiday season by taking your Ham to the next level with Certified Creole BBQ's method!
He used the Char-Griller Hybrid Dual Fuel Gas & Charcoal Grill for this cook. Giving you plenty of space to grill, sear, and keep the basting liquid warm, the Dual Fuel was a great choice for this cook.
1. Turn Side Burner on low.
2. Add about 1/2-1 cup of pineapple juice.
3. Add 1-2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard.
4. Add 1/4 cup of juice from the Red Maraschino Cherries.
5. Add Cajun/Creole seasoning to taste. (I used Cajun seasoning)
6. Add 1/2 cup of Light Brown Sugar. Continue to add until the baste thickens slightly. I don’t like a super thick baste.
7. Add 1/4 cup of Pig Stand BBQ Cajun Garlic Butter.
8. Add black pepper to taste
9. Combine and stir all items in the baste with a whisk until slightly thickened, roughly 8-10 minutes on low heat.
10. Set aside and add baste to the ham while prepping and throughout the cook.
Tip: Add pineapple juice to spray bottle for spritzing. Ham can easily dry out so using the pineapple juice and basting throughout the cook helps keep it moist.
Ham Preparation Instructions:
1. Place ham on a cutting board.
2. Remove ham from plastic wrap using a pairing knife.
Tip: Pat the ham dry with a paper towel.
3. Score the ham using a pairing knife. First score up and down with ham facing down then place it on the side and score in the opposite direction to make squares. Do the best you can, it doesn’t always come out perfect.
Tip: Scoring allows the baste and pineapple juice spritz to enter the ham.
4. Add 12 - 24 oz of water to the pan with the insert rack.
5. Add cloves to taste in pan with the water.
Tip: The insert rack helps keep the ham lifted to allow moisture from the water and cloves into and all around the ham. Putting the cloves in the water allows the essence to rise into the ham and you don’t have spend time adding and removing them from the ham.
6. Place ham in pan on top of the insert rack.
7. Mix and add baste on the sides of the ham using a basting brush.
8. Place pineapple slices and red maraschino cherries on the sides of the ham using toothpicks to keep them in place. Add additional baste if needed.
Ham Cooking Instructions:
1. Preheat your Char-Griller Grill/Smoker to 350°F. Maintain your fire temperature at 350°F throughout the cook. Roughly add fuel every 30-45 minutes or when needed.
2. Add uncovered ham to the grill/smoker.
3. Baste and spritz with pineapple juice roughly every 30 minutes.
Tip: Rotate ham every so often to allow all sides to smoke evenly.
3. Cook ham until it reaches internal temperature 140°F. Then remove ham from the grill/smoker and cover with foil. Allow ham to rest for a minimum of one hour before slicing.
4. Remove foil and place ham on cutting board. Slice ham using a carving knife.
Enjoy your tasty, juicy and tender ham!