Direct & Indirect Heat on the AKORN Auto-Kamado
Use the AKORN Auto-Kamado to grill and sear with direct heat and smoke and bake with indirect heat. Use the following chart to know where to set your dampers, how much fuel to use, and where to position your Firestarter for the best results.
Grill and sear with direct heat at high temperatures (325 - 700F).
- Prepare up to 2-3 lbs. of lump charcoal in the center of the fire grate. Lighting Instructions: HERE.
- Make sure the heat deflector has been removed.
- Once the grill is at the desired temperature, you may begin to cook by placing food directly onto the cooking grates.
- Food can cook quickly. Cook each side 3-4 minutes and then bring to desired internal temperature.
Smoke and bake with indirect heat at low temperatures (200 - 450F).
- Prepare up to 1-3 lbs. of lump charcoal in the center of the fire grate.
- Add wood chips, chunks, or pellets as desired to add smoke flavor.
- Place the heat deflector in the fire bowl.
- Once the grill is at the desired temperature, begin to cook.
- Place food on the main cooking grates or the warming rack above. Food on the cooking grates will cook faster.