Recipe:Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
- - 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- - 3 shallots, minced
- - 16 oz. Cremini or baby bella mushrooms, diced
- - 6 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- - 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- - 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- - ½ C. red wine, optional
- - 1-2 C. vegetable broth
- - 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- - 2 C. frozen peas
- - ½ C. full fat Greek yogurt
- - ¼ C. butter or margarine
- - Fresh whole herbs, to taste
- - Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain, mash, and mix in yogurt and butter. Season to taste.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until fragrant. Add mushrooms, carrots, and whole herbs. Sauté until carrots are softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste and flour to the pan and stir. Pour in the red wine, if using, and deglaze the pan. Stir occasionally for 1-2 minutes.
4. Slowly add the broth, stirring until a gravy starts to form. Season with salt and pepper, to taste then simmer over low heat until thickened.
5. Remove the herbs and stir in the peas. Transfer mixture to a cast iron pan and spread the mashed potatoes on top.
6. Place on the grill at 350°F to bake for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Note: Substitute ½ C. vegetable broth or water for red wine.