Turkey Leg Lollipops
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 1.5 Hrs
- 1 4 Large Turkey Legs
- 2 1/2 Cup Char-Griller Original Rub
- 3 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 3/4 Cup BBQ Sauce of Choice
- 5 1/4 Cup Apple Juice
- 6 1 tsp Honey
- 7 1 tsp Char-Griller Original Rub (For Sauce)
On Thanksgiving Day turkey legs are always the first thing to get eaten up around our house! This recipe allows you to grill up some extra turkey legs that are fun and guaranteed to also get eaten quick!
1. With your boning knife cut where the turkey meat starts to thin out going towards the joint. Cut all around the bone and use a paper towel to help with the removal of the skin and joint.
Tip: You will notice tendons and a little bone that runs parallel to the leg after you have cut it. Make sure to remove these with your boning knife or kitchen shears.
2. Wrap the exposed bones in foil (this will help with presentation).
3. Next, rub the turkey legs down with olive oil and apply seasoning liberally to lollipops. Make sure to get as even as a coat as possible.
4. Get your grill between 325 F and 350 F. Add hickory chunks to give the meat an extra layer of flavor.
5. Once the grill is up to temp put the turkey legs on indirect heat.
6. Start preparing the glaze by combining BBQ sauce, apple juice, honey, and seasoning in a microwavable safe cup. Set aside till it is time to glaze.
Tip: Warm your sauce up right before it is time to glaze so that it is smooth and doesn’t tack on the meat too heavily.
7. Once your turkey has reached internal temp around 165 F it is time to glaze. Dip each turkey lollipop into the cup with your glaze mixture until you have obtained a nice shine.
8. Quickly put the turkey back on the grill and let the internal temp reach 170 F.
9. Pull the turkey and let rest for 10 minutes before you eat. Enjoy!