Spaghetti Squash Fritters
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 10 Min
- 1 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash Cooked, Shredded From Skin and Cool
- 2 1 Egg
- 3 1 Cup Flour
- 4 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 5 1/2 cup grated cheese, pecorino, parmesan, or aged gouda work best
- 6 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 7 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 8 2 T Chopped Parsley
Char-Griller ambassador, Aubrey Johansen of @thatswhatsheeats, shares her Spaghetti Squash Fritters recipe and some tips on how to serve the dish.
Someone messaged me the other day and said, “Any suggestions on what to do with a spaghetti squash? I bought one last week and we've been staring at each other ever since". Ha! I felt that. I whipped these up earlier in the year when some of my personal chef client families had a surplus of squash and were tired of adding it to pasta sauce. This recipe is super versatile, you can use gluten-free flour, leave out the cheese if you're dairy-free, even add crumbled bacon. Also highly recommend blending all of the ingredients to make a savory spaghetti squash pancake. These are great as a side dish, or as a snack- serve with ranch for dipping, or top with a dollop of chip dip and a few crumbles of bacon. Let's Dig In!
- To cook spaghetti squash, cut in half and remove the seeds. You can either lay halves cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for 45-60 mins at 375 or lay cut side down on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15-20 mins. Shred and add to a bowl, let cool to room temp.
- Once squash is cool, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. This will form a thick batter and will be speckled with the herbs and have texture of the squash strands running through it. For picky kiddos- You can blend all of the ingredients to make a smooth, more pancake like batter- both are equally delicious.
- Preheat the Char-Griller Flat Iron® Griddle to medium heat. Add 1-2 T of oil to the surface and rub evenly with a towel. Let the griddle heat up for about 5 minutes, and then add dollops of fritter batter to the surface, about ¼ cup in each fritter. Reduce heat to low, and let cook for 5 minutes. Flip, and finish cooking for another 5 minutes. The fritters will be crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. Serve while hot! Enjoy!
*you can sub GF flour here, or even a plain all-purpose baking mix or self-rising flour for both the flour and baking soda*