Smoked Tri-Tip Sammies with Horseradish Sauce
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time:
- 1 Tri-Tip - 2 Pounds
- 2 Olive Oil - 1/4 Cup
- 3 Kosher Salt - 4 Teaspoons
- 4 Fresh Ground Black Peppercorn - 2 Teaspoons
- 5 Fresh Baked Sausage Rolls
- 6 Salted Butter
- 7 Red Tomato - 1
- 8 Chopped Red Onion - 1/4 Cup
- 9 Worcestershire Sauce - 2 teaspoons
- 10 Lemon Juice - 1 Tablespoon
Tri-Tip is a favored meat cut for many, and with this Smoked Tri-Tip Sammies with Horseradish Sauce recipe, the California specialty gets piled high, then smashed between two soft bread rolls, slathered in creamy horseradish sauce for an extra tasty sandwich experience!
1. Prepare your favorite Char-Griller smoker for indirect heat at 250°F and add your favorite smoking wood. Oak wood goes great with this recipe.
2. Pat tri-tip dry with paper towel. Rub olive oil on all sides. Evenly coat all sides with kosher salt, then add your pepper to all sides. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Slice your tomato in half squeeze out the seeds. Coat tomato and onion with a small amount of olive oil. Place in small foil pan or cast iron skillet.
4. Place tri-tip and veggies into the smoker and close the lid. Roast/Smoke veggies until soft and tender, about 30-45 min. Pull veggies off to cool and continue to cook tri-tip at 250°F until desired internal temperature is reached. 120°F- rare, 130°F - medium rare, and about 140°F - medium.
5. Once internal temperature is reached, let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain, as thin as you can.
6. To make sauce, add the roasted/smoked veggies along with additional sauce ingredients into a blender and pulse until you get a creamy smooth consistency.
7. Spread butter on your sausage rolls and place face down on the grill over direct heat. Toast until crispy on the edges.
8. Spread the horseradish sauce on both the top and bottom bun and stack the meat high. Cut sandwich down the middle and enjoy!