Smoked Mac N' Cheese on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 25-30 Min
- 1 1 lb. Elbow Macaroni
- 2 3 C. Milk
- 3 6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 4 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 5 2 C. Smoked Gouda Cheese, Grated
- 6 1 C. Shredded Cheddar, Grated
- 7 1 1/2 C. Panko Breadcrumbs
- 8 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 9 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 10 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 11 1/2 Tsp. Mustard Powder
- 12 Kosher Salt, To Taste
Mac N' Cheese is a staple for most gatherings, and smoking it takes the flavor to the next level. Bring this dish to your next dinner party, and it is sure to be a hit!
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook according to package directions, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan until hot, being careful not to boil it. Whisk together 6 Tbsp. butter and flour in a large pot. Gradually add hot milk and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, salt, to taste, and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and mustard powder. Add cooked macaroni and stir well. Spoon mixture into cast iron pan.
Starting your Grill
- Open the lid, remove the cooking grates and heat deflector.
- Stack Charcoal into a pyramid in the center of the fire grate. For indirect heat at 350°F, you'll need 2-3 lbs. of fuel. Place the fire starter at the top of the pile between two pieces of charcoal for top ignition. Note: Fire starter can have significant impact on reaching set temperature and how much charcoal is activated. Using more fire starters will increase the speed in reaching desired temperature, but also results in more charcoal being activated which can make it difficult to control temperatures.
- Open the fan cover.
- Without changing the placement from Step 2, ignite the fire starter. Leave the lid open and allow 3-5 minutes for the fire starter to begin igniting the coals.
- Place the heat deflector for indirect heat cooking. Reinsert grates, close the lid and ensure the power cord is securely plugged into a GFCI Outlet.
- Press the Power button for one second to turn on the controller.
- Press the Grill Temperature button, turn dial to 350°F, and press dial to select.
- The controller will display a suggested damper setting for 5 seconds, adjust as needed. Once temperature is set the fan will begin working to automatically controlling your grill temperature.
- It will take approximately 20-30 minutes for the grill to reach your desired temperature. Once temperature is reached, you are ready to cook.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top. Place pan on the grill at 350°F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is lightly browned on top.