Smoked Mac ‘n Cheese
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 25-30 Min
- 1 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 2 3 C. milk
- 3 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 ½ C. all-purpose flour
- 5 2 C. smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- 6 1 C. shredded Cheddar, grated
- 7 1½ C. panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ½ Tsp. black pepper
- 9 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 10 ½ Tsp. onion powder
- 11 ½ Tsp. mustard powder
- 12 Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions1. Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook according to package directions, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan until hot, being careful not to boil it. Whisk together 6 Tbsp. butter and flour in a large pot. Gradually add hot milk and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, until thickened and smooth.
3. Remove from heat and add cheese, salt, to taste, and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and mustard powder. Add cooked macaroni and stir well. Spoon mixture into cast iron pan.
4. Stir in breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top. Place pan on the grill at 350°F with a Smokin’ Stone under the grates and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is lightly browned on top.