Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 55-60 Min
- 1 1-2 C. tomato-basil sauce
- 2 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 3-4 thyme sprigs
- 4 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 ½ Tsp. chili flakes
- 6 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 7 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 8 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 9 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 10 Salt and pepper, to taste
- 11 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 13 1 C. milk
- 14 1/8 Tsp. nutmeg
1. Pre-heat grill to 375°F.
2. Heat butter in a small saucepan, add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Continue cooking until béchamel sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
3. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir. Set aside.
4. Spray an oval baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix together tomato sauce, minced garlic, thyme, red chili flakes, salt and olive oil. Spread a layer in bottom of baking dish.
5. Drizzle béchamel sauce on top and swirl into the tomato sauce.
6. Layer sliced vegetables on top in a spiral pattern. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt, thyme, and black pepper on top. Cover with parchment paper.
7. Transfer baking dish to grill and bake at 375°F for 55-60 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and tomato sauce is bubbling on the sides. Remove from grill and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Serve ratatouille with crusty bread to scoop up the sauce, if desired. Enjoy!
Note: To same time in making spiral layers, pick slices of each vegetable and make a small stack, then place into the baking dish.