Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 30 Min
- 1 1 pound smoked pulled pork (leftover pulled pork works great for this recipe)
- 2 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
- 3 Roux: 6 Tablespoons butter, 6 Tablespoons flour
- 4 Cheese Sauce: 1 teaspoon mustard powder, 4 cups half and half, 2 cups milk, 1 Tablespoon equal parts salt and pepper), 4 ounces cream cheese, 12 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (shredded), 6 ounces gouda cheese (shredded), 2 Tablespoons green onions (minced, optional), ¼ cup BBQ sauce (optional)
Pulled pork and mac and cheese are amazing on their own, but put them together and you get an explosion of flavor and cheesy goodness. This recipe is great if you’re trying to spice up your mac and cheese game or if you have left over pulled pork from the night before!
- Cook the macaroni. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente, meaning they still have a bit of chew and texture (not too soft).
- Preheat the smoker and heat the meat. Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F using a mild hardwood. Cherry or apple is the way to go. Place your pulled pork in an aluminum pan and place on the smoker to reheat while you prepare your mac and cheese.
- Make a roux. Heat a 14-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
- Make the cheese sauce. Carefully pour in the half and half and milk and bring up to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the Beef Seasoning. Finally, whisk in the cheddar cheese and gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce.
- Assemble the pulled pork mac and cheese. Remove the pulled pork from the smoker and add it to the top of the mac and cheese. If desired, drizzle the top of the pork with your favorite BBQ sauce and sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve immediately. Serve your mac and cheese while it is still warm and the cheese is nice and melty!