- - 1½ C. and 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- - 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½” pieces
- - ¼ Tsp. salt
- - 1/3 C. ice water
- - ¼ C. plus 1/3 C. sugar, reserve 1 Tsp.
- - 3 Tbsp. ground almonds
- - 2½ lbs. large plums, halved, pitted and cut into ½” wedges
- - ½ C. good-quality plum preserves, strained if chunky or seedy
- - Corn meal, for dusting
1. Put 1½ C. flour, butter and salt into a food processor and mix for 5 seconds.
2. Add ice water and mix for 5 seconds longer, just until the dough holds together. Small pieces of butter should still be visible.
3. Remove the dough and gather it into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large circle, 1/8” thick.
4. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer to a large baking sheet. Refrigerate the dough until firm, 10-20 minutes.
5. While dough is chilling, pre-heat grill to 400°. In a small bowl, combine ¼ C. of the sugar with the ground almonds and 3 Tbsp. flour and mix well. Spread evenly over the dough to within 2” of the edge.
6. Arrange plum wedges on top and dot with butter. Sprinkle 1/3 C. sugar over the fruit. Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a 2” border. If the dough feels cold and firm when folding up the edges, wait a few minutes until it softens to prevent cracking. Sprinkle the border with the remaining 1 Tsp. sugar.
7. Transfer the galette to a pre-heated pizza stone dusted with corn meal to prevent sticking, and bake at 400°F for 45-50 minutes, until the fruit is very soft and the crust is golden brown.
8. Remove from the grill and evenly brush the preserves over the hot fruit.
Allow the galette to cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Note: Substitute plums and plum preserves for fruit and preserves of choice, if desired.