Hot Italian Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches on the AKORN® Auto-Kamado™
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 35 Min
- 1 2 lbs. Hot Italian Sausages
- 2 3-4 Large Bell Peppers (any color will do, but I like to mix and match)
- 3 1 Large White Onion
- 4 28 oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 5 3 Tbsp. Italian or Herb Blend Seasoning
- 6 Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 7 6 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- 8 Sliced Smoked Provolone Cheese
- 9 Hoagie Rolls (1 for each link of sausage)
- 10 2-3 Tbsp. Cooking Oil
Looking for a quick and delicious lunch recipe? This Hot Italian Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches is the perfect lunch recipe to prepare on the AKORN Auto-Kamado!
Starting your Grill
- Open the lid, remove the cooking grates and heat deflector.
- Stack Charcoal into a pyramid in the center of the fire grate. For direct heat at 350°F, you'll need 2 lbs. of fuel. Place the fire starter near the bottom of the pile and cover with charcoal. Note: Fire starter can have significant impact on reaching set temperature and how much charcoal is activated. Using more fire starters will increase the speed in reaching desired temperature, but also results in more charcoal being activated which can make it difficult to control temperatures.
- Open the fan cover.
- Without changing the placement from Step 2, ignite the fire starter. Leave the lid open and allow 3-5 minutes for the fire starter to begin igniting the coals.
- Place the heat deflector for indirect heat cooking. Reinsert grates, close the lid and ensure the power cord is securely plugged into a GFCI Outlet.
- Press the Power button for one second to turn on the controller.
- Press the Grill Temperature button, turn dial to 350°F, and press dial to select.
- The controller will display a suggested damper setting for 5 seconds, adjust as needed. Once temperature is set the fan will begin working to automatically controlling your grill temperature.
- It will take approximately 20-30 minutes for the grill to reach your desired temperature. Once temperature is reached, you are ready to cook.
- 1. While the grill is heating up, prepare the peppers and onions. Cut the peppers and onions into uniform size strips, 1/4 to 1/3 inch in thickness.
- 2. Once your peppers and onions are prepared, grill the sausages for 4-5 minutes on each side or until they develop a nice brown color. They do not need to be completely cooked through; this step is just for color.
- 3. After you have grilled/browned the sausages, remove them from the grill to rest and place your cast iron skillet on the grill to heat up. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- 4. Next, add the peppers and onions to the skillet and sauté for 5-10 minutes or until they start to soften.
- 5. Once everything has started to soften, add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper to taste. Mix together until the peppers and onions are coated in the crushed tomatoes. Add the sausages back to the skillet and bury them inside the sauce, peppers and onions. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until sauce has started to bubble and thicken.
- 6. After you have reached your desired sauce consistency and flavor, remove the skillet from the grill and place the hoagie rolls on to toast.
- 7. Place a sausage link on each toasted roll and top with the peppers and onion sauce. Layer on 2-3 nice slices of smoked provolone cheese on each sandwich. Once your sandwiches are assembled, place them on a baking sheet and put them back on the grill with the lid closed to melt the cheese until it is beautifully draped over the sausage, peppers, and onions.
- 8. Remove the sandwiches from the grill, slice in half, and dig in!