Hot Italian Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches on the AKORN
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 35 Min
- 1 2 lbs Hot Italian Sausages
- 2 3-4 large bell peppers (any color will do, but I like to mix and match)
- 3 1 Large White Onion
- 4 28 oz Can Of Crushed Tomatoes With Basil
- 5 3 Tablespoons Italian or herb blend seasoning
- 6 Salt & pepper to taste
- 7 6 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- 8 Sliced Smoked Provolone Cheese
- 9 Hoagie rolls (1 for each link of sausage)
- 10 2-3 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
Need a delicious and flavorful lunch idea? Look no further than our hot Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches. These sandwiches will satisfy all of your cravings and leave you wanting more!
1. Prepare your grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat (350-375 degrees).
2. While the grill is heating up, prepare the peppers and onions. Cut the peppers and onions into uniform size strips, 1/4” – 1/3” in thickness.
3. Once your peppers and onions are prepared, grill the sausages for 4-5 minutes on each side or until they develop a nice brown color. They do not need to be completely cooked through; this step is just for color.
4. After you have grilled/browned the sausages, remove them from the grill to rest and place your cast iron skillet on the grill to heat up. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and garlic and cook until fragrant.
5. Next, add the peppers and onions to the skillet and sauté for 5-10 minutes or until they start to soften.
6. Once everything has started to soften, add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper to taste. Mix together until the peppers and onions are coated in the crushed tomatoes. Add the sausages back to the skillet and bury them inside the sauce, peppers and onions. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until sauce has started to bubble and thicken.
7. After you have reached your desired sauce consistency and flavor, remove the skillet from the grill and place the hoagie rolls on to toast.
8. Place a sausage link on each toasted roll and top with the peppers and onion sauce. Layer on 2-3 nice slices of smoked provolone cheese on each sandwich. Once your sandwiches are assembled, place them on a baking sheet and put them back on the grill with the lid closed to melt the cheese until it is beautifully draped over the sausage, peppers, and onions.
9. Remove the sandwiches from the grill, slice in half, and dig in!