Gravity 980 Grilled Cubano Sandwich
Prep Time: 35 Min | Cook Time: 4 Hrs
- 1 4 pounds boneless pork butt
- 2 1 loaf French bread
- 3 Butter
- 4 1/2 lbs sliced Swiss cheese
- 5 1/2 lbs sliced low sodium ham
- 6 1 cup sliced pickles
- 7 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 9 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 10 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 11 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 12 4 tablespoons mustard
We love a good Cubano Sandwich! There is something about the combination of swiss cheese pickles and ham that we cannot resist. If you want to make a stellar Cubano from home, try out this recipe!
- Add all wet rub ingredients into a bowl: kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, cumin powder, ground sage, mustard, and mix ingredients.
- Tie up each 2 lb. piece of pork. Place the pork butt on two small aluminum trays and rub the wet rub onto the pork butt. Make sure to cover all of the pork with the mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Cooking the pork on a small tray will enhance the flavor (the fat and liquid) that renders drips onto the tray, acting like a braise and keeping the pork moist.
- Set Gravity 980 to 250°F for 4 hours. Insert the digital thermometer into the pork butt. The pork will read 180°F once it is done.
- Pro tip: Let the meat rest for 20 minutes before cutting into it in order to let the juices redistribute. Once cooled, slice the pork into ¼ to ½ inch slices. Reserve the liquid to be used as a dip for the sandwich.
- Assembling the Cuban sandwich is easy. Cut the French bread into (2) 6–7 inch loafs horizontally. At this point you should have 4 pieces of bread, (2 tops and 2 bottoms). Lay the bread on the cutting board with the inside of the bread facing up.
- Spread the butter evenly on each piece. Add 2 slices of Swiss cheese to each piece of bread (8 total slices). Then add 3 slices of low sodium ham to each piece of bread (12 total slices). Then add 4–5 slices of pork to the bottom slice of the bread (8–10 total slices). Finally, distribute the pickles evenly on top of the pork.
- It is now time to close the sandwich: put the top portion together with the bottom. Spread butter on the top of each sandwich and place the 2 Cuban sandwiches on a tray.
- Set the Gravity 980 to 300°F for 20–25 minutes. Once preheated, place the sandwiches inside the grill.
- Once the bread is toasty and the cheese is melted, you are ready to enjoy. Remember to heat up the liquid from the pork butt to use as a dip.