Deep Dish Apple Pie
Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 40 Min
- 1 8 medium tart apples, cored, peeled and sliced (makes 10 C.)
- 2 2 C. and 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ C. shortening
- 4 2 large eggs
- 5 ¼ C. cold water
- 6 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 7 1 Tsp. lemon juice
- 8 ¼ C. sugar
- 9 ¼ C. brown sugar
- 10 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 11 ½ Tsp. ground nutmeg
- 12 1 Tbsp. milk
- 13 Unsalted butter, softened
1. Pre-heat grill to 350°. Add 2 C. flour to a large bowl and cut in shortening. Mix until crumbly.
2. In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg, water and apple cider vinegar together and gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
3. Shape into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight, if desired.
1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, sugars, remaining flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until evenly coated. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Place pan onto grill and bake at 350°F with lid closed for 10-15 minutes, until apples release their juices.
3. While apples are baking, turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll into 2 circles large enough to cover a buttered pie dish with an overhang of at least 1”.
4. Place 1 dough into pie dish and prick the bottom with a fork.
5. Remove apples from grill and place evenly into prepared pie dish. Place the other pie dough on top of the apples and crimp the edges.
6. In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg together with milk to make egg wash and brush over pie. Cut slits in top.
7. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from grill and run a knife around the side of the pan to loosen pie.
Cool on a wire rack and serve with ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!