Creole Smothered Chicken
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 40 Min
- 1 Chicken Legs
- 2 Shortening
- 3 File (Pounded or powdered sassafras leaves)
- 4 Paprika
- 5 Cajun/Creole Seasoning
- 6 Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 7 4 oz Water
- 8 1.5 Tbsp Garlic-fresh or jarred
- 9 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 10 3 Tbsp Self-Rising Flour
- 11 1 Cup White Rice
Char-Griller Ambassador Certified Creole BBQ brings us one of his family classics:
"This is a classic Louisiana French Creole dish brings back many childhood memories with my family growing up on Chicago’s Northwest side & is definitely a comfort food of mine.
This was a weekly staple in my house growing up. My Mom & both Grandmothers all made it, and they all made it all amazing. It’s a very popular and easy dish to make with big-time Louisiana flavor and lots of history behind it.
It’s also simple & low cost to make & you can use any cut of chicken you have available; it doesn’t have to be chicken legs. I began to make this dish long before I started to BBQ. It’s one that is close to the heart and will always be served at my house."
1. Generously season chicken on all sides with: paprika, Cajun/Creole seasoning & Chicken Bouillon powder.
2. Add Shortening to Cast Iron skillet: enough to coat the bottom of the cast iron skillet.
3. Heat cast iron skillet to medium/high heat on your Char-griller Grills side burner.
4. Add chicken to the cast iron skillet once the oil is hot.
5. Brown one side of the chicken, turn the chicken then add the chopped onions & chopped garlic to the chicken & cook for five minutes.
6. Add flour & mix thoroughly for a few minutes.
7. Add bottled water & mix thoroughly.
8. Lower the side burner to low heat.
9. Add Filé & mix thoroughly.
10. Allow the chicken & gravy to cook on low heat for roughly 25-30 mins. No need to use a lid/cover.
Tip: turn chicken roughly every 5-10 minutes for even cooking.
11. Cook chicken to internal temperature 165°.
12. Cook 1 cup of white rice in 2 cups of water and salt to taste.
13. Boil water to high with the rice & all the ingredients & stir. Wait until you see the water boiling, once it begins to boil turn the the dial on the side burner to low.
14. Cover the pot with a lid and let the rice slowly cook for about 30 minutes.
15. Serve over white rice & favorite vegetable.