Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 30-40 Min
- 1 2 C. heavy cream
- 2 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ⅛ Tsp. salt
- 4 5 egg yolks
- 5 ½ C. sugar, plus more for topping
1. Pre-heat grill to 325°F. In a saucepan, combine cream, vanilla extract and salt and cook over low heat just until hot, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a bowl, beat yolks and sugar together until well combined. Add a ¼ C. of the vanilla-cream mixture from Step 1 and stir to incorporate.
3. Pour sugar-egg mixture into remaining cream in saucepan and stir. Pour into four 6 oz. ramekins and place into a baking dish.
4. Fill dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake at 325°F for 30-40 minutes, until centers are just set.
5. Remove from grill and sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on top of each custard. Use a butane torch to gradually melt sugar until caramelized and golden brown on top. Enjoy!