Cheesy Chipotle Chili
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 5 Hrs
- 1 3 lb. roast beef or sirloin
- 2 2 large sweet onions, roughly chopped, divided evenly
- 3 2 cloves minced garlic, or to taste
- 4 7-8 dried Chipotle peppers, roughly chopped
- 5 12 oz. can tomato sauce
- 6 1 Qt. beef broth
- 7 1 C. flour
- 8 1-2 Tsp. Chipotle chili powder
- 9 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 10 2 Tbsp. coarse black pepper
- 11 3 Tbsp. bacon grease or oil
- 12 ½-1 C. water
- 13 ½ C. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14 1 sourdough or French bread bowl per person
- 15 Seasoned salt, to taste
1. Cube meat and brown in Dutch oven with bacon grease or cooking oil. Do not drain juices from pan.
2. Sift flour into gallon sized storage bag and add Chipotle chili powder and pepper to taste. Add browned cubed meat, seal bag and shake to coat meat evenly with seasoned flour.
3. Return meat to pan and add garlic, ½ of chopped onion, cumin, chipotle peppers, tomato sauce and beef broth.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add enough water to cover all ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Place covered Dutch oven in the middle of the grill at 225°F for 5 hours.
6. During the last hour of cooking, add the remaining onion and stir to combine. The meat should be fork-tender.
To serve, slice the top off the bread bowls and hollow them out. Fill with chili, top with cheese and put the top back on. Arrange the bread bowls on a baking sheet and place on the grill at 350°F for 3-5 minutes, enough to toast the bread slightly and melt the cheese, then serve.
Recipes developed in partnership with our friends, Ken & Patti Fisher at Date Night Doin’s. Visit their website at www.datenightdoins.com for BBQ and smoking recipes, videos, product reviews, and all things BBQ!