Certified Creole Grilled Chicken n’ Sausage Filé Gumbo
Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 2 to 3 Hrs
- 1 Whole Chicken - Cut Up
- 2 Kielbasa Sausage - 4 Links
- 3 Accent Seasoning
- 4 Kary's Roux
- 5 Crisco All-Vegetable Oil
- 6 Cajun/Creole Seasoning - To Taste
- 7 Black Pepper
- 8 Olive Oil
- 9 One White Onion - Diced
- 10 1 Whole Garlic - Diced
- 11 Filé: Pounded or powdered sassafras leaves
- 12 Paprika
- 13 Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 14 White Rice
- 15 Cornbread
This Gumbo Recipe from Certified Creole BBQ has deep family roots for our ambassador: "My family is from Natchitoches, Louisiana off of Cane River. The movie Steel Magnolias was filmed there. Filé Gumbo is a basic but traditional dish in our French Creole culture. This was the first time I’ve made Gumbo outdoors on the grill. It’s something I know I’ll do again. I didn’t know what to expect but it came out delicious. The chicken & sausages off the grill added so much additional flavor."
1. Generously coat both of sides of the chicken with olive oil: I used Pig Stand BBQ Cajun Garlic Butter.
2. Season chicken to taste on both sides with Cajun/Creole seasoning: I used Queen Bee Cajun seasoning, Paprika, Accent, Black Pepper.
3. Preheat grill to 400° On the charcoal side of the grill.
4. Add chicken to grill and cook chicken only until the pink is out the chicken.
Major Key: Don’t cook the chicken fully only want to get the pink out. Then add add to Gumbo. Doing this allows the chicken to get flavor from the grill, get tenderized and become soft while in the Gumbo.