Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 45-50 Min
- 1 1 large butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 2 ½ C. chopped shallot
- 3 1 Tsp. salt
- 4 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1 Tsp. maple syrup
- 6 ⅛ Tsp. ground nutmeg
- 7 Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 3-4 C. vegetable broth
- 9 1-2 Tbsp. butter
- 10 1-2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 11 Olive oil
1. Pre-heat the grill to 425°F. Rub 1 Tsp. of olive oil over the inside of both halves of the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each half in foil, adding a ½ C. water to each.
2. Place on the grill and bake for 45-50 minutes, until squash is tender and completely cooked through. Remove from grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Unwrap, and use a large spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl, discarding the skin.
3. In a large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped shallot and sauté until the shallot has softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
4. Transfer the cooked shallot and garlic to a blender. Add the squash, maple syrup, nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Slowly add vegetable broth and blend until creamy.
5. Add 1- 2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream to taste, and blend well. Taste and blend in more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve immediately. Let leftover soup cool completely and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.