Recipe:Butternut Squash Soup
- - 1 large butternut squash, halved and seeded
- - ½ C. chopped shallot
- - 1 Tsp. salt
- - 4 garlic cloves, minced
- - 1 Tsp. maple syrup
- - ⅛ Tsp. ground nutmeg
- - Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- - 3-4 C. vegetable broth
- - 1-2 Tbsp. butter
- - 1-2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- - Olive oil
1. Pre-heat the grill to 425°F. Rub 1 Tsp. of olive oil over the inside of both halves of the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each half in foil, adding a ½ C. water to each.
2. Place on the grill and bake for 45-50 minutes, until squash is tender and completely cooked through. Remove from grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Unwrap, and use a large spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl, discarding the skin.
3. In a large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped shallot and sauté until the shallot has softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
4. Transfer the cooked shallot and garlic to a blender. Add the squash, maple syrup, nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Slowly add vegetable broth and blend until creamy.
5. Add 1- 2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream to taste, and blend well. Taste and blend in more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve immediately. Let leftover soup cool completely and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.