Bacon Ring Burger with Mushrooms
Prep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 1 Hrs
- 1 ½ C. apple jelly
- 2 ½ C. balsamic vinegar
- 3 ¼ C. brown sugar
- 4 2 ½ Tsp. Original All-Purpose BBQ rub (reserve ½ Tsp.)
- 5 2½ lbs. ground beef
- 6 1 lb. bacon
- 7 ¾ lb. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 3 Tbsp. shallots or green onions, sliced
- 9 5 large sweet onion slices
- 10 1 Tbsp. butter
- 11 Provolone cheese, or preferred
- 12 Condiments of choice
- 13 Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, ½ Tsp. rub and apple jelly in a small sauce pan on the stove.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
Bacon Ring Burgers
2. Place bacon-wrapped onion rings on the grill to smoke at 225°F for 1 hour. Remove onion rings from the grill and increase temperature to 350°F for burgers.
3. While onion rings are in the smoker, place ground beef in large bowl and season with pepper and 1 Tbsp. rub. Mix all ingredients by hand until just blended.
4. Form 1” thick patties and place on a wax paper lined tray. Place tray with patties in refrigerator and allow to chill for 10-15 minutes.
5. Sauté garlic, mushrooms and shallots in butter for 5-7 minutes, until just tender, and set aside.
6. Place burgers on the grill at 350°F for 6 minutes per side, with a quarter turn halfway through for good sear marks. Burgers are done when internal temperature reaches 165°F.
To serve, top burgers with cheese and bacon-wrapped onion ring. Fill with sautéed mushrooms and shallots, top with condiments of choice and enjoy!
Recipes developed in partnership with our friends, Ken & Patti Fisher at Date Night Doin’s. Visit their website at www.datenightdoins.com for BBQ and smoking recipes, videos, product reviews, and all things BBQ!