Recipe:Bacon Buster Burger
- - ¾ lb. thick-cut bacon, chopped
- - 1 sweet onion, chopped
- - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1/3 C. maple syrup
- - 1/3 C. apple cider vinegar
- - ¼ C. packed brown sugar
- - 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- - 2 lbs. ground beef
- - 2 eggs, beaten
- - 1 C. beef all-purpose sauce
- - Steak BBQ rub
- - Swiss cheese, sliced, or preferred
- - Hamburger buns
- - Condiments of choice
1. Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until just tender and fragrant, 2- 3 minutes.
2. Add chopped bacon and cook 3- 5 minutes, until the fat begins to render and the bacon begins to brown.
3. Add maple syrup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very dark and syrupy, for 15-20 minutes.
4. Allow bacon mixture to cool completely. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until well chopped. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
1. Place ground beef in large bowl, add eggs and season with Steak BBQ rub, or your favorite rub, to taste and sauce. Mix ingredients by hand until just blended.
2. Form 1” thick patties and place on a wax paper lined tray. Spread a thick layer of bacon jam on top of every other patty, then press two patties together. Press firmly around the seams to ensure the bacon jam doesn’t run when cooking.
3. Place tray with patties in refrigerator and allow to chill for 10-15 minutes.
4. Place chilled patties on the grill at 350°F for 5 minutes per side, with a quarter turn halfway through for good sear marks.
To serve, add more bacon and cheese if desired, top with condiments of choice and enjoy!
Recipes developed in partnership with our friends, Ken & Patti Fisher at Date Night Doin’s. Visit their website at www.datenightdoins.com for BBQ and smoking recipes, videos, product reviews, and all things BBQ!