Americana BBQ Sauce Marinade for Chicken
- 1 Chicken Breast or Wings
- 2 Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- 3 1 Cup of Water
Many national retailers sell BBQ sauce that isn’t really based on a specific region or type. Our ambassador, John Bailey has dubbed these sauces "Americana" and tested one of them out as a marinade.
- Looking to add more flavor to BBQ grilled chicken I came up with this marinade.
- First make sure your chicken pieces are cleaned and rinsed.
- Take a liberal squeeze of your chosen BBQ sauce into a gallon zip lock style bag. Add about a cup of water to the bag and mix.
- You should have a very watery looking mix, now add your chicken.
- Mix everything around in the bag and refrigerate for a few hours, 12, or overnight.
- When it’s time to grill take your chicken pieces out of the bag and pat dry. Their color should have changed via absorbing the BBQ sauce-based marinade.
- Set grill for indirect heat about 350 deg F.
- Smoke with wood chips if you like.
- Grill skin side up till internal temperature is close to 160 deg F.
- Flip chicken to the hot side for a few minutes only to get some char on it.
- Move back to the indirect side brush with your Americana style BBQ sauce.
- Cook till internal temp of 160 deg F.
- Pull from grill let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy.
- You will notice the flavor of the bbq sauce has permeated into the meat as well as on the skin.